Helping People Use Computers in Boulder for Over 25 Years
Boulder Computer Maven is permanently closed.
Patient, expert help for beginning and experienced computer users of all ages.
The American Heritage Dictionary defines Maven as "A person who has special knowledge or experience; an expert." I have a Master's degree in Computer Science and many years of experience as a computer programmer, teacher, and consultant. Microsoft has recognized me as a Most Valuable Professional and Windows XP Expert for the help that I give to Windows users.
There used to be two types of home computers: desktops and laptops. Now, tablets and smartphones can meet many people's computing needs.
First, I listen carefully to your questions and concerns, so that I understand what you want to do and what problems you're having. Then, I give clear answers, without unnecessary technical jargon, from the experience that I've gained by helping thousands of people. Some clients have told me that I'm the first person who has explained things in words that they can understand. My areas of expertise include:
- Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 98, 95.
- iPad and Kindle.
- Android tablets and smartphones.
- E-Mail and web browsing.
- DSL, cable modems, broadband routers.
- Wired and wireless networks.
- Spyware, virus, and spam removal.
- Firewalls, Internet security.
- Online and local backup to protect your personal files.
- Troubleshooting, upgrades, installations.
- Printers, scanners, digital cameras, modems, monitors.
- External disks, USB flash drives.
I can help you, whatever your experience and needs are. My clients include:
- Grandmothers with no computer experience who want to learn to use E-mail.
- People who want to increase their computer knowledge so they can do their work more quickly and easily.
- Families with multiple computers and a broadband Internet connection.
- Businesses, churches, and non-profit groups who need expert help but can't afford a full-time computer person.
I offer consulting at your home or office, by phone, and by remote support over the Internet. If you live outside the Boulder area, please contact me to arrange a phone or remote support session.
I can help with all of your computer needs, including:
- Describing the capabilities of laptops, desktops, tablets, and smartphones to help you decide what to buy.
- Showing you how to use and enjoy your iPad or Kindle.
- Making computer and Internet use safe and pleasant for your whole family.
- Making your computer run faster and better.
- Troubleshooting and fixing all types of Windows problems.
- Installing wired or wireless networks to allow all of your computers to share an Internet connection, files, and printers.
- Tutoring on Windows, AOL, Firefox, Internet Explorer, E-mail, Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail.
- Evaluating your hardware and software needs and advising on upgrades and purchases.
- Installing and upgrading hardware and software.
- Moving your personal files (documents, pictures, music, E-mail, etc) from an old computer to a new one.
Here are some web sites that I recommend for computer information:
- Newsgroup reader: Forte Agent
- E-Mail: Mozilla Thunderbird
- Text replacement and keyboard macros: Short Keys
- Graphics viewer, editor, and more: IrfanView
- CD and DVD burning: ImgBurn, BurnCDCC
- Password Manager: Whisper 32
- Photocopier: Photocopier Pro
- Control multiple computers with a single keyboard and mouse: Multiplicity
- Music composition and notation: NoteWorthy Composer
- Partition and boot manager: BootIt Next Generation
- Virtualization Software: VirtualBox
- PC Optimization: CCleaner
- DVD and Multimedia Player: VLC Media Player
- Malware Removal: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, HitmanPro
Backup systems to protect your files from loss due to data corruption or hard disk failure
Cellular Phones and Service
When I'm not doing computer work, I enjoy performing with these music and dance groups:
©2001-2016 Boulder Computer Maven. All Rights Reserved.